9.03.2019

Day One - TLT (Total Learning Time) 9h

First full day of school today. We did an intro last Friday to get a hand on what's to come.

So far, you got up at about 7:10am. Ate. We started a few minutes late because I was adding info to the outside of your binders and hanging some file dividers for them. No biggie.
  • We did Bible first. Read about Joseph reuniting with his family in Egypt. 8:20-8:50
    We had some technical difficulties with your laptop (prob because I used it all weekend to play Sims)
  • Then you started Algebra at 9. You finished at 11:30 (it was not because of you). We will make further evaluations as the week goes on. When you were half way through you said, "Father is going to be happy when he asks me what I did in school today. I actually just LEARNED something." You sounded pleased with the lesson - though you later wanted to talk about how long it was. (I feel that those thoughts were planted because the teacher says more than once in the intro that if it takes your student such-and-such time, it might be too hard for them. I don't appreciate those limiting statements and will discard them.
    I was especially impressed with and proud of your note taking skills! I can see the work paying off from last year. 
  • We had lunch from 11:30 to 12:30. 
  • You did Cultural Geography from 12:30 to 1:30. It was amazing. I learned cool things myself. 
  • You did Writing and Grammar from 1:40 to 2:15. A nice 35 minute class for today. 
  • Science was a trial today. From 2:30 to 4:30 You spent about an hour doing it, but we had about an hour of talk and a verbal retest at the end. The video portion of the lesson was boring and unnecessary and the questions at the end of the reading were more "Biblical based" than "Science". You did not agree with that, and you got a B- for having one of five questions incorrect. I know you were feeling disappointed and tired nearing the end of the day. Hang in there. We are just testing and checking all of this out. You did well in Science. Keep a Growth Mindset as best you can. 
  • Spanish was from 4:30 to 5:10 and it was SO cute and fun. 
Over all you impressed me today. I loved looking over at you in your pink polo shirt with that hair - OH THAT HAIR! - looking like you have a private stylist who comes in for you, working hard and diligently on your course work. Your highlighting information, rearranging things to suit your needs and preferences, and even putting socks on your cat's back all made me quite full today. Great work on your first day. I know it took longer than we want it to, but we are in control and we can make adjustments as needed. Our goal isn't to "complete the program", but to learn solid, steady, and in progression. I know we can accomplish that in less time. We just need to look at what they program offers in full, and then adjust it as we see fit.

Zeek's least favorite part of day: Science

Lora's least favorite part of day: When Zeek felt so disappointed in getting a B- and nothing I could say would make him realize that's a good grade, or feel better.

Zeek's favorite part of day: Math

Lora's favorite part of day: Zeek and Cultural Geography




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers