5.14.2010

reading alone

I thought the sound of your voice coming from the living room had a different
rhythm than that of your usual play-time noise making,
or you speaking to your pug.

I thought the sound was a little like the sound of someone reading!



This was the second time I'd seen you reading on your own. 



And the first time that you read to yourself out-loud enough to be heard. 
Such a special mile-stone for you. and me. 

When I was little I was allowed to stay awake as late as I wanted 
as long as I was in my bed, reading.
I spent countless nights reading book after book 
until I couldn't keep my eyes open.
My own Mom would buy me boxes of books at rummage sales. 
I remember those boxes being place beside my bed 
as I read through them one by one.

Last night I gave you permission to enjoy 
the very same after-bed-time reading freedoms. 
You were so excited to be set up with your beginning readers 
and your own reading lamp. 


I was so proud of you. 
After taking ample pictures...
your Dad and I sat downstairs in the living room 
listening to you sound out your stories in your room 
as you read yourself to sleep for the first time.


DSC_0068

Every growing. Never slowing. My dear boy.



Followers